Thursday, September 24, 2009

An American Reflection on the Philippines-pt 1

I haven't tried cooking misua (rice vermecilli) eversince I got my hands dipped in a cooking pot. One day I craved for it. So I logged in to Youtube and searched on line for its recipe. As my desktop monitor reveals the playlist results for this Filipino recipe, I scrolled down and continuously searched until one video thumbnail caught my attention.

Hey, what's this white man doing in a carinderia ni Aling Holy Vanessa?

The video made me anticipate to see some foreigner commenting various funny remarks about some of our exotic food. True enough, the guy on the video ate balut,dinuguan and pig intestines in a side street carinderia. The way his Filipino companion describe balut is hilarious when he (the Filipino guy) said:


This one is a monster called balut. There’s a monster inside.


Pati s’ya natawa sa joke n’ya (Even him laughed at his own joke.) LOLZ. But when the American guy mentioned in his video that the man he was with was a pastor, I thought to myself,


"Hey, wait a minute, what are they doing together in a carinderia?"


Later I found out from his profile that he is a Christian and had been in the Philippines for six weeks. I think he went to the Philippines for some missionary works, though I am not sure because it was not mentioned in his profile. Maybe this trip at the carinderia, was the pastor's way of showing him around the city and to make him feel or literally taste for himself what Filipino hospitality is all about.

See part 2 of this blog as I made some comments in one of his videos where he made certain funny remarks about his experiences while he's in the Philippines.
Read part 2 HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

edsabhrain HEADLINES

The Bible at Your Fingertips